Licensure in Another State

Licensure or certification in another state is facilitated by first receiving a license in Arkansas. An application must be made directly to that state's department of education by the student. The licensure office does not submit licensure packets or applications to other states but in some instances, the applications will have a section to be signed by the licensure officer to verify the completion of a program.  Educator licensure in each state is regulated by specific laws in that state and dependent on education standards that the state has adopted.                                 

In order to address teacher shortage areas and facilitate the movement of teachers among states, there are agreements among states that make it possible for a teacher to be licensed in another state via reciprocity. It is important to understand interstate agreements, or reciprocity, and their meaning in each state.

The National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification and the recent 2020 study by the Education Commission of the States has compiled the most up to date information on these agreements. Before beginning any program leading to education licensure in the state of Arkansas, it is recommended that you visit with the state where licensure is intended. This will enable you to obtain the most up-to-date information about licensure requirements and confirm how a U of A program facilitates those requirements.


United States GraphicAccess 50 State Comparison on Teacher License Reciprocity 

Other Resources:

NASDTEC Educator Job Posting Map  (New!)

What is an Interstate Agreement or Reciprocity?

Information for Out of State Applicants (reciprocity by state)

Directory of Licensure Offices (by state)

Directory of Licensure Offices for Border States

To have an institutional verification formed signed from another state, send form containing the following information to:

Dr. Myra Haulmark, Director

  • Out-of-state application from the state in which a position is sought
  • Year of graduation
  • Copy of Arkansas teaching license
  • For UA graduates who have never held an Arkansas license, copy of scores
  • Copy of transcript

The information will be reviewed and, if complete, will be sent to the appropriate receiving agency with a recommendation. Please note: you must have completed an approved educator preparation program at the University of Arkansas in order for the office to sign your verification form.